Instagram has become one of the most popular social platforms in the world. For personal purposes, it’s a great way to share your life and fun things with friends and family. For professional use, Instagram is pretty good at appealing brands and products visually as well as interacting with other businesses, influencers, and leads.
In this article, we’ll walk you through all Instagram account types and tell you how to create a brand new Instagram account.
- Choose the best account type upon your needs
- How to create a personal Instagram account
- How to create a business or creator Instagram account
Choose the best account type upon your needs
Before getting started, you should figure out what you will do with your Instagram account. Also, it’s better to take a minute to grasp the difference between personal and professional Instagram accounts.
No matter what type of account you have, you can always switch it back to a personal account. All account types are free to set up unless you prefer to get an Instagram account for sale online.
Personal Instagram account
It’s the basic account that lets you post content and view other Instagram profiles. If you primarily use Instagram for connecting with friends and family, catching up on news, and finding inspiration, you’d better have a personal Instagram account.
- Easy to use for the average Instagram user.
- Allow users to set it to a private profile and only followers can see and comment on your Instagram posts and Stories.
- Features for an Instagram personal account are general. You can’t get more data and activities related to your audiences.
Instagram creator account
The Instagram creator account was introduced in early 2019. As claimed by Instagram, the creator mode is the best for public figures, content producers (like a blogger), artists, and influencers. With an Instagram creator account, you can take advantage of its special features to go deeper into the follower metrics. This fulfills the needs of people who want to build communities and gain brand partnerships but don’t have a business yet.
- Easy to have a personal touch with strangers and establish a personality-based brand.
- Provides special features. For example, detailed growth data about your audience demographics, streamlined messaging, and various labels for you to brand yourself.
- Get the daily number to help evaluate the performance of your content.
- Creators can decide who can contact them with flexible contact options.
- Don’t support Instagram API, which means you may not be able to schedule content or manage multiple accounts from one dashboard with a third-party service provider.
Instagram business account
Like a Facebook page, an Instagram account is a marketplace or community for your business to promote your products and services. It comes with more premium features, bringing convenience in terms of content creation and customer management.
- Get access to Instagram real-time insight and gather all data to help you decide your content and marketing strategy.
- Sell directly on Instagram with a tag and link to the shop, easily Call-to-Action and close more sales efficiently.
- Support Instagram API. Users can use auto-publishing, schedule posts, get detailed analytics, manage multiple accounts from one dashboard with a third-party tool.
- Less intimacy with audiences compared to the personal and creator accounts.
- Less visibility of your posts and ads appear in users’ feeds based on the Instagram ranking algorithm.
How to create a personal Instagram account
There are some easy ways to create an Instagram account.
If you don’t have an Instagram account linked to your Facebook profile before, you can sign up for an Instagram account with it. Once registered successfully, simply kill two birds with one stone——every time you post content on Instagram, you can sync it on Facebook.
You also have options to sign up with your phone number or email address.
Available on App Store and Google Play, Instagram is better designed for mobile users, like iPhone or Android. We’d recommend you create a new account on your phone.
Create an Instagram account with a Facebook account
- Download Instagram and open the App;
- Tap on the button “Log in with Facebook”;
- You’ll need to log in to your Facebook account to grant the permission;
- If your Facebook account has logged in, you can click and connect to it right away.
- By default, your Facebook information will update to your Instagram account. You can edit your profile anytime on Instagram.
Create an Instagram account with a phone number or email
- Download Instagram and open the App;
- Tap on the “Create New Account” button on iPhone, or “Sign Up With Email or Phone Number” button on Android;
- Enter your email address or phone number, then tap “Next” to continue;
- Enter the confirmation code that is sent by Instagram to your email or phone number to get verified;
- Create a unique username and password for your account, fill out your profile information, and upload your avatar, then tap “Next” to complete.
Create an Instagram account on a browser
- Go to instagram.com;
- Click “Sign up”, tap on “Log in with Facebook” if you want to connect it to your brand new Instagram account. Alternatively, enter your mobile number or email, full name, username, and password to sign up;
- If you register with Facebook, you may ask to sign in to your Facebook account to continue.
How to create a business or creator Instagram account
When you initially create an Instagram account, by default, it’s a personal account. But no worries, you can easily convert your personal account to a business or creator account whenever you want with a few clicks. Or, switch it back to a personal account if needed. You won’t lose a follower or any content you’ve posted. Instead, you will get more insights and premium features about your audiences.
- Click on the hamburger menu at the top right corner, tap “Settings”, then select “Account” and scroll down till the end;
- If you’re using a personal account, tap on “Switch to Professional Account” at the bottom. Follow the instruction and tap “Continue”, and choose a category that helps people find you. Then you can decide to convert to a creator or business account.
- If you’re using a creator or business Instagram account, tap on the “Switch account type”. Then, you can either convert it to a personal account or a business/creator account directly.
No. Each email address is unique for an Instagram account.
Yes. You can switch your profile between these three types on your “Account” page. However, keep in mind that once you convert your creator or business account to personal, you can’t access the premium features anymore, like Instagram Insight.
Creating a business or creator account on Instagram is totally free. You don’t need to invest a penny to set up an account. It’s really user-friendly for all types of users and helps to grow their businesses.